Author Topic: Feedback and Suggestions Alpha 3/Steam  (Read 20073 times)

March 31, 2015, 01:35:41 AM
Read 20073 times

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile
This main post will not be updated any further, this is a rolling thread, just read my replies as i post them instead.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:59:39 PM by nerdistmonk »

March 31, 2015, 12:14:37 PM
Reply #1

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
Any reason you are not running Alpha 1?

*(pre-alpha 10 linux x86_64): Text seems to be missing after i minimize.... Seems to happen when i minimize, i believe i reported this before.
The drawback of using a proprietary engine is that when stuff like this happens I have no way of fixing it. Unity tech also has no obligation to fix this, since they only officially support Ubuntu and SteamOS, and it works fine on my Ubuntu installation, even without a graphics card.

*Parking Lots...how are the employees getting to work?, walking may be green for the environment and all, but a parking lot should be
a requirement to build from minute one, it doesn't need to be big starting out, but a few spaces should be required for you to park somewhere.
I like the idea. Actually implementing it would be a massive undertaking, but I have some ideas. It's not going in for a long time though, I need to finish what I have before I start implementing new big features, but I definitely want it in, because right now there is a problem if you build at the far side of the map, employees would take half a day to get to their computers.

*Enhancement on distribution channels, it feels weird having a digital store in 1980, something perhaps needs to be done to 80s-fi it?
(the whole game seems to ignore what year it is, honestly, i can make a 64-bit OS in 1980?)
It does feel weird having online stores, but for reasons of having a balanced game, it's going to have to stay that way.
Alpha 3 will have time locks on software, furniture and features.

*Perhaps on top of needing server hardware, a need for internet service? (from 1980 to 1989 it could be 14.4 dialup x (how ever many lines you need to meet customer demand), from 1990 to 1995 you would get a choice of 28.8 service x (how ever many lines you need to meet demand) with T3 Service being available at that time (costs more), by 1996 to 2004 you would have 56k x (customer needs), T1 and T3, and as of post-2004 fiber optic hookup.
Right now I'm treating internet services like water pipes and electrical wiring, because I feel the benefits of adding it doesn't outweigh the actual overhead of implementing and maintaining it.

March 31, 2015, 01:30:30 PM
Reply #2

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile
Any reason you are not running Alpha 1?

Because it came out 2 hours after i downloaded pre-alpha 10 and i haven't received a sendowl email about it yet.

edit: now running alpha 1

The drawback of using a proprietary engine is that when stuff like this happens I have no way of fixing it. Unity tech also has no obligation to fix this, since they only officially support Ubuntu and SteamOS, and it works fine on my Ubuntu installation, even without a graphics card.

And yet as before, i told you, your game is the only unity based game i have that exhibits this behavior, i have many unity 4 and 5 games, this one exhibits vanishing text, and i using Xubuntu, which is the same as ubuntu it just has a different graphical interface.

It doesn't matter because this is the least of the outstanding issues i have anyways, the other biggest issues being balance and the speed of time which seems to go by way to fast (which aggravates the balance issues)

It does feel weird having online stores, but for reasons of having a balanced game, it's going to have to stay that way.
Alpha 3 will have time locks on software, furniture and features.

Balanced game? Why not simply have it where the game has more brick & Mortar stores at the beginning, and they dwindle as the digital revolution begins? (1980 to 1996 would be physical stores heyday, 1996 to present would start the rise of digital storefronts), you could make it so the player has a choice between opening a digital store using their servers (which is already in game, these features would unlock to the player in 1994/1995 around the time the web took off), but the player could also opening a physical store (which would cost alot more, with less profit, but would result in more satisfied customers and such)

Right now I'm treating internet services like water pipes and electrical wiring, because I feel the benefits of adding it doesn't outweigh the actual overhead of implementing and maintaining it.

Thats understandable, the neat part of my idea was needing to get faster/better service as customer demands went up, it was mainly an idea to try and make TIME matter more, right now 1980 is no different than 1990 or 2000, because the game does not actually care what year it is, nor is there any differences one decade to the other.

I would almost say that operating systems/programming languages should play a part on the companies development computers, obviously one is not going to build a AAA 2015 Game with all the trimmings running a 1985 era operating system using 1985 computer language. (nor would you make a 64-bit OS on a 16-bit OS.)

Which reminds me, we need some more research:

*16-Bit OS/Games
*32-Bit OS/Games
*PC Speaker Sound (rather than starting with 8-Bit Sound which wasn't invented until the mid/late 80s anyways)
*Hard Disk Support
*CD-ROM Support/Tape Drive Support
*16-Bit Sound
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:38:11 PM by nerdistmonk »

March 31, 2015, 01:49:55 PM
Reply #3

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
And yet as before, i told you, your game is the only unity based game i have that exhibits this behavior, i have many unity 4 and 5 games, this one exhibits vanishing text, and i using Xubuntu, which is the same as ubuntu it just has a different graphical interface.
Either they're using the legacy GUI system or your PC just straight up doesn't like the font I use. I'm not doing anything special, it's all standard Unity stuff.

It doesn't matter because this is the least of the outstanding issues i have anyways, the other biggest issues being balance and the speed of time which seems to go by way to fast (which aggravates the balance issues)
Do you mean the the speed of each day or the speed of a year? The month=day system is staying, alternatively one in-game year would take 6 hours. I want a you to be able to build up a company from nothing to industry leader by playing for maybe 5 hours, but still feel the days/nights passing by, which is simply not possible with the GDT week style. Everything is moving at the same pace, so the speed doesn't affect balancing.

Balanced game? Why not simply have it where the game has more brick & Mortar stores at the beginning, and they dwindle as the digital revolution begins? (1980 to 1996 would be physical stores heyday, 1996 to present would start the rise of digital storefronts), you could make it so the player has a choice between opening a digital store using their servers (which is already in game, these features would unlock to the player in 1994/1995 around the time the web took off), but the player could also opening a physical store (which would cost alot more, with less profit, but would result in more satisfied customers and such)
Because physical stores have an upfront cost you probably won't be able to pay in the beginning of the game, making the game unplayable before online stores appear, unless you start with a lot of cash. The digital revolution has made indie games possible, small companies weren't able to publish games around the world with no budget before online distribution, you'd need funding.

Thats understandable, the neat part of my idea was needing to get faster/better service as customer demands went up, it was mainly an idea to try and make TIME matter more, right now 1980 is no different than 1990 or 2000, because the game does not actually care what year it is, nor is there any differences one decade to the other.

I would almost say that operating systems/programming languages should play a part on the companies development computers, obviously one is not going to build a AAA 2015 Game with all the trimmings running a 1985 era operating system using 1985 computer language. (nor would you make a 64-bit OS on a 16-bit OS.)
As I said, time will matter in alpha 3 where furniture, software types and software features will be disabled until the year they were invented.

March 31, 2015, 02:25:10 PM
Reply #4

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile

Either they're using the legacy GUI system or your PC just straight up doesn't like the font I use. I'm not doing anything special, it's all standard Unity stuff.

um what? legacy gui? i've been using linux for 13 years and you've lost me.

Do you mean the the speed of each day or the speed of a year? The month=day system is staying, alternatively one in-game year would take 6 hours. I want a you to be able to build up a company from nothing to industry leader by playing for maybe 5 hours, but still feel the days/nights passing by, which is simply not possible with the GDT week style. Everything is moving at the same pace, so the speed doesn't affect balancing.

I mean it seems like a "day" just goes by so fast, idk, anyways ive managed to make a little money and not croak over immediately, i just wished they would stop asking for raises every 0.2 seconds because someone spotted a twinkie wrapper on a desk or something.

The game needs a happiness system like "The Movies" has, where employees have a happiness/future effort gauge where their current pay/conditions effect their happiness and future efforts, you can give them bonuses (which effects current happiness) or a permanent pay raise (which effects current happiness and will result in more effort in their work in the future)

edit: yeah i just had to give 60 raises in a row, no joke. This system needs enhanced.

Because physical stores have an upfront cost you probably won't be able to pay in the beginning of the game, making the game unplayable before online stores appear, unless you start with a lot of cash. The digital revolution has made indie games possible, small companies weren't able to publish games around the world with no budget before online distribution, you'd need funding.

In 1985 if you wanted to start your software company, it took alot of money, the idea of this game starting you out with any less than $50,000 cash is crazy, now if you wanted you could have some explainations in game as to how you got all that cash to begin with:

*Sandbox Mode: Start with a selectable amount of free money to start with, no loans to payback (already in game)
*Partnership Mode: You and your other hippy programmer friends start a software business together using $25000 you all managed to pool together.
*Easy Mode: Start with a $50,000 bank loan that must be paid back in 72 months
*Hard Mode: Start with a $50,000 bank loan that must be paid back within 48 months
*Impossible Mode: Start with a $25,000 bank loan that must be paid back within 12 months.

As I said, time will matter in alpha 3 where furniture, software types and software features will be disabled until the year they were invented.

Just making suggestions, you asked for feedback, your getting it. :P

edit: added my new research ideas to the first post.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:11:24 PM by nerdistmonk »

March 31, 2015, 05:45:28 PM
Reply #5

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
um what? legacy gui? i've been using linux for 13 years and you've lost me.
Unity's legacy GUI system.

The game needs a happiness system like "The Movies" has, where employees have a happiness/future effort gauge where their current pay/conditions effect their happiness and future efforts, you can give them bonuses (which effects current happiness) or a permanent pay raise (which effects current happiness and will result in more effort in their work in the future)

edit: yeah i just had to give 60 raises in a row, no joke. This system needs enhanced.
Raises and salaries already affect employee happiness and effort, but bonuses might be a nice feature.

You can use HR delegation to avoid having to deal with raises. People automatically expect to get paid higher due to seniority, might not make much sense, but that's life. I'll try to make it a bit less obnoxious, maybe make pay demands discrete, rather than continuous.

In 1985 if you wanted to start your software company, it took alot of money, the idea of this game starting you out with any less than $50,000 cash is crazy, now if you wanted you could have some explainations in game as to how you got all that cash to begin with:

*Sandbox Mode: Start with a selectable amount of free money to start with, no loans to payback (already in game)
*Partnership Mode: You and your other hippy programmer friends start a software business together using $25000 you all managed to pool together.
*Easy Mode: Start with a $50,000 bank loan that must be paid back in 72 months
*Hard Mode: Start with a $50,000 bank loan that must be paid back within 48 months
*Impossible Mode: Start with a $25,000 bank loan that must be paid back within 12 months.
How is it crazy to start out with less than $50,000?
I've added starting out with loans and descriptions for scenarios to the list. Having multiple founders is already on the list.

Just making suggestions, you asked for feedback, your getting it. :P
I know, my point was that the fact which decade you're in makes no difference in Software Inc. is already being mitigated in Alpha 3, so there's no reason for adding auxiliary features just to fix it right now. All plans are listed here: https://trello.com/b/9I286Mhu/software-inc

March 31, 2015, 06:06:52 PM
Reply #6

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile

Unity's legacy GUI system.

ah that makes more sense, sorry for the confusion

Raises and salaries already affect employee happiness and effort, but bonuses might be a nice feature.
You can use HR delegation to avoid having to deal with raises. People automatically expect to get paid higher due to seniority, might not make much sense, but that's life. I'll try to make it a bit less obnoxious, maybe make pay demands discrete, rather than continuous.

Well it would be nice if instead of them griping monthly for raises (who does that? more specifically have you met anyone with the backbone to something that insane? asking the boss for a raise? every month?)

Here in the USA its customary to get a perfomance review every 6 months, at which point you get a raise based on how well you did. All those times my employees called in sick and such, or didn't show up ought to count for something besides my inconvenience.

Perhaps every six months there could be some sort of wage negotiation? A screen appears with all the employee's new wage demands you can make counter offers to them, perhaps they would settle for a little less?

I know, my point was that the fact which decade you're in makes no difference in Software Inc. is already being mitigated in Alpha 3, so there's no reason for adding auxiliary features just to fix it right now. All plans are listed here: https://trello.com/b/9I286Mhu/software-inc

_shrugs_ i understand the current game content will be sorted by time and unlock appropriately, i wasn't really talking about that.

Either way, i believe the game is going to need more software types

Web Browsers, Office Suites and Media Players perhaps? idk.

Anyways i had half a million bucks and ended up going bankrupt within minutes, so it will be a while yet before i try again.
(frustration factor is still high, its far too easy to plummet to your doom in this game, i had to fire my entire company, tear the building down even then i couldn't avoid the inevitable splat.)

I just feel disoriented and under-informed when playing the game, the interface does not help, having to dig around to open up windows with various info in it doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:08:47 PM by nerdistmonk »

March 31, 2015, 06:26:49 PM
Reply #7

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
Perhaps every six months there could be some sort of wage negotiation? A screen appears with all the employee's new wage demands you can make counter offers to them, perhaps they would settle for a little less?
Good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Either way, i believe the game is going to need more software types

Web Browsers, Office Suites and Media Players perhaps? idk.
I made up the current software types in a couple of minutes, there are no big ideas behind them. Since it's all moddable I'm not really prioritizing it, unless it's completely game breaking.

Anyways i had half a million bucks and ended up going bankrupt within minutes, so it will be a while yet before i try again.
(frustration factor is still high, its far too easy to plummet to your doom in this game, i had to fire my entire company, tear the building down even then i couldn't avoid the inevitable splat.)

I just feel disoriented and under-informed when playing the game, the interface does not help, having to dig around to open up windows with various info in it doesn't help either.
Maybe try easy mode? I agree the game is very imbalanced at this point, I expect to dig into this in the beta phase, currently I'm mostly focused on getting all the features in.

Alpha 1 has a newspaper which might help. You can read about company take-overs, game reviews, most selling games, new feature releases, etc. I was planning on having a more advanced company finance window, to help getting an overview over expenses, should I prioritize this for the Steam release?

March 31, 2015, 06:35:45 PM
Reply #8

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile

Alpha 1 has a newspaper which might help. You can read about company take-overs, game reviews, most selling games, new feature releases, etc. I was planning on having a more advanced company finance window, to help getting an overview over expenses, should I prioritize this for the Steam release?

Right now the way things stand if you put this game on steam right now, the player responses are going to be unforgiving, your going to have 3/4ths of them not being able to figure out anything, not being able to even get a single program made before going bust and then raging....what happens when they rage? they come on the forums...or worse....they review. (MGT has several reviews from people who didn't bother to play the game long enough to learn anything, they just flamed and moved on)

Why do i say this? I'm a veteran player of these games, yet you see me getting so tripped up on this game? all my other strategy game friends on my steam list gave up after 5 minutes in the demo. Its a rough ride at current. (this coming from someone who likes intricate gameplay depth and such)

The newspaper is really cool, i like it, but it doesn't tell someone how to avoid sudden bankruptcy unfortunately, the slightest mis-step in the game results in severe punishment, im not really sure what to do because the game goes from one extreme to the other.

Easy Mode? Im playing alpha 1 perhaps i did not notice it? where would this setting be?

Edit: Found it when i made a new game, off to the side, going to try an easy game see if it lets up on the difficulty.

also a final word on the new software types: im just trying to help you avoid a sea of forum posts with people suggesting the same thing, if it takes only minutes to add them, why not toss 2 or 3 more in for good measure? Anyways i shall leave this subject for the birds now.

So in a nutshell, YES, YES add whatever you can to convey info to the player more efficiently and to help the player so he doesn't lose and lose royally because people hate losing, this game seems to go from one extreme to the other at current, either im flush with money or instantly im on the street corner singing the old gray man wearing a barrel.

--monk
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:28:05 PM by nerdistmonk »

April 02, 2015, 12:27:30 AM
Reply #9

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
You can also set difficulty from the settings menu when you're in a game, and it will be specific for that game.

Here are some updates:
I added wage negotiations. They are mandatory and appear once a year at december. Leaders will handle the negotiations for employees on their teams if HR is enabled. Employees will not discuss salary before the negotiations, unless they want to quit. Underbidding their request will have an impact on their motivation for the next year, but overbidding will give them a temporary boost.

I also added a worksheet so you can get more details on your finances. It comes with a warning at the top of the screen if your current rate of spending will bankrupt you within 4 months.

April 02, 2015, 02:21:31 AM
Reply #10

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile
Awesome, you do nice work :D

April 02, 2015, 03:46:01 AM
Reply #11

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile
As you recall i said the user interface causes me alot of grief in its lack of information conveyance heres a list of things that i feel would perhaps clarify it a bit:

*The empty space on the bottom right could perhaps be tasked into showing a log of events that occur (rather than the uber annoying icons that pile up the screen on the left, which require you to mouse over them to read them)

*The Develop new software icon should be changed to something that conveys its function, perhaps a floppy disk with an easier to see + symbol?

*The view releases icon should be changed to an icon of file cabinet to better indicate its function

*The Cleaning staff icon should be an image of a person holding a garbage bag to better indicate its function

Just some thoughts on how to possibly improve the interface, its easy to criticize it, but far far harder to think of ways to make it better, but im trying.

Also i got to say it again, its really jarring not to be able to set your own prices for products, i believe we touched on this before in the other thread and i made strong case as to why it should be implemented, im not sure if i seen it on trello.

April 02, 2015, 07:29:49 PM
Reply #12

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
Awesome, you do nice work :D
Thank you!  ;D

Just some thoughts on how to possibly improve the interface, its easy to criticize it, but far far harder to think of ways to make it better, but im trying.
Thank you for trying, it is very helpful and I'm sure it will ultimately make it a better game.

Also i got to say it again, its really jarring not to be able to set your own prices for products, i believe we touched on this before in the other thread and i made strong case as to why it should be implemented, im not sure if i seen it on trello.
It's planned for alpha 3 in Trello, but might be bumped up to alpha 2, depending on how far I get before the Steam release. All the paper work should be in order now, I'm just waiting for a letter which might take a month to receive, and afterwards I have to set up and test whatever is needed for Steam.

*The empty space on the bottom right could perhaps be tasked into showing a log of events that occur (rather than the uber annoying icons that pile up the screen on the left, which require you to mouse over them to read them)
*The Develop new software icon should be changed to something that conveys its function, perhaps a floppy disk with an easier to see + symbol?

I've overhauled the message system so you don't need to click the messages, they become red as they get older and are automatically removed after 12 months. I expect to enable hiding them completely and maybe make them scrollable, so new messages can be viewed even though there isn't space on the screen.
I exchanged the IO software icon for a more obvious disc icon.

April 02, 2015, 07:52:47 PM
Reply #13

nerdistmonk

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you!  ;D

your welcome :D

Thank you for trying, it is very helpful and I'm sure it will ultimately make it a better game.

UI Design has never been a strong point of mine especially for such an in depth strategy title such as this one, game design concepts? sure, i can talk your ears off there, but making a UI everyone likes? Why yes sir, the holy grail is just right over there next to the long lost rembrandt :P

It's planned for alpha 3 in Trello, but might be bumped up to alpha 2, depending on how far I get before the Steam release. All the paper work should be in order now, I'm just waiting for a letter which might take a month to receive, and afterwards I have to set up and test whatever is needed for Steam.

ah, sorry, i hadn't seen it, trello is a bit, erm, interesting to read. Always did enjoy a good ol' fashioned list with bullet points myself. :D

I've overhauled the message system so you don't need to click the messages, they become red as they get older and are automatically removed after 12 months. I expect to enable hiding them completely and maybe make them scrollable, so new messages can be viewed even though there isn't space on the screen.
I exchanged the IO software icon for a more obvious disc icon.

Again, you do nice work :D, that will be 100% improvement from what we got right now in alpha 1.

Well with all that said, i guess the only outstanding grievances i would try to deal with before hitting steam would be:

*Allow the player to have anywhere from $5,000 to $250,000 starting money, apparently in this game $500,000 is a drop in the bucket, i would know considering i lost that much in 8 minutes and went bankrupt...to be honest im not sure any amount of starting money will help at current because theres an underlying problem in game balance causing all that money to go away so quickly. Either that or as i said the game needs to do better to help a player avoid this event, its far too easy to fail and not really any warning signs that your about to do so, its just over that quick

I am going to resist provided feedback on how to fix game balance issues until alpha 3, im giving you every opportunity to "accidentally" fix it, all the changes your making may very well do so, then again, they may not, i wont know until then.

edit: Also the audio experience is lacking at current, not musically since i just play music while im playing anyways but its so quiet, it seems like i should be hearing more, typing, office noises, etc, its been getting better on this front, but its still sort of quiet.

You could always hold off until beta season before hitting steam e.a, certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot, MGT got a flurry of poor reviews early on because of that, most of the reviewer's have not bothered to replay the game and see that it is improving, nor does it occur to them thats why early access exists :S

With all that said.....

(Warning, big complicated idea below...not for the weak of heart)

My last suggestion based off my alpha 1 experience: perhaps that whole partnership mode your working on would be complimented by the idea of building a corporation? As in having a board of directors (basically the rich old prunes who bankrolled your newly minted company), we already got a stock market esque system, you could let the players take their company public and have to answer stock holder concerns (the stockholders that hold the highest majority of stocks have the most the input obviously)

Their input could be things to help guide a feeble player towards success, think of the majority stockholders being like the advisors from simcity 3000, basically a way to help a player build a healthy company that turns a profit. To balance out all this new found help you get, the cost is you no longer fully control your company, instead of just hiring/firing whoever you want, instead of just making products all willy/nilly with no thought, you now have to present your product to the board, who will approve the expenses and provide criticism and/or praise to the concepts your presenting them

(the game would handle that simply put by looking at the size of the software your attempting to make, the number of employees you have on the team that will be producing the software, the time it will take, etc, the advisors will give the player advice and or criticisms based on this info, which will help the player avoid making a bad decision)

Needless to say, if you release too many products that lose the company money, you get the royal flush as CEO of your company, at which point, i do not know about you, but i hate game over screens, for extra brownie points, have the game demote the player from CEO to just a team leader, that is, he retains control of a software team, and has to do whatever projects are assigned to him by the new CEO (penalty mode basically, if you make the software project assigned to you a hit, you will be promoted back as CEO again and regain control until you fail)

All of the above would be a toggle-able option during new game creation of course, call it "Corporate Mode".

(Sorry for the wall of text, i usually avoid huge ideas in general, but your a very capable coder who can apparently erect a skyscraper in about 15 minutes so i figured it would tickle your fancy :D)

edit: an appendum;

I noticed "hack" events coming down the pipe on trello, it would be nice if i could pick which servers/computers were connected to the "internet" (think simcity again), servers that are isolated from the outside world can't be hacked, servers i connected and are running outdated OS software (which ties into my idea of workstations/servers running an OS of sometype, even your own system.), anyways outdated OS = increases likelyhood of a break-in.

Machines that are isolated from the outside world are 100% safe from hacks, however the player will have to move the finished project from the isolated SCM (or whatever it was you call it in game), to an internet connected server manually (one of your dev team ends up distracted for 4 hours or so, so you lose the usefulness of that employee during the time he/she is tasked with moving your product by hand from one server to the other, brownie points if this process is semi-animated)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:51:00 AM by nerdistmonk »

April 03, 2015, 02:25:03 AM
Reply #14

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
*Allow the player to have anywhere from $5,000 to $250,000 starting money, apparently in this game $500,000 is a drop in the bucket, i would know considering i lost that much in 8 minutes and went bankrupt...to be honest im not sure any amount of starting money will help at current because theres an underlying problem in game balance causing all that money to go away so quickly. Either that or as i said the game needs to do better to help a player avoid this event, its far too easy to fail and not really any warning signs that your about to do so, its just over that quick
500,000 in 8 minutes? Seems a bit excessive, did that have anything to do with all the raises? Wages seem to be the biggest expense, which I would guess is pretty true to life. Hopefully that will be fixed with the new wage system and the bankruptcy warning will hopefully help as well.
edit: Also the audio experience is lacking at current, not musically since i just play music while im playing anyways but its so quiet, it seems like i should be hearing more, typing, office noises, etc, its been getting better on this front, but its still sort of quiet
Office sounds aren't audible, unless you get as close to the offices as you would need to be in real life to hear anything. I actually recorded a bunch of office sounds in my apartment, which involved recording myself pouring water down and flushing a toilet.

You could always hold off until beta season before hitting steam e.a, certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot, MGT got a flurry of poor reviews early on because of that, most of the reviewer's have not bothered to replay the game and see that it is improving, nor does it occur to them thats why early access exists :S
MGT's rating seems to be "Very positive", though.
It's already set in motion and I need to do it soon to justify only working part time at my day job. But I'm not that nervous, I expect to get bad reviews, it's inevitable in the game's current state. My hope with early access is to raise enough money to get some help on the graphics-side and actually become a real company (I'm part of a program in my country where you can start an LLC, but you're only allowed to use money outside of administration when you reach a certain amount of funds), which doesn't require the early access to be a complete and utter success. In any case, the most important reviews will come when the game is actually out of early access, a lot of reviewers seem to wait until games are out of early access to avoid showing off games that might not get finished.

perhaps that whole partnership mode your working on would be complimented by the idea of building a corporation?
I like the idea, but I think it's way out of scope of the game. I'm going to add a mechanic where you can snoop in on other companies' release schedules to plan ahead, I might expand that into an advisor mechanic, to give hints of what to do/not do with the current market. Currently, if you own less than 50% of your company, there is a small delay when releasing products, due to it needing approval from your board of directors, that could also be expanded with them denying certain projects or bailing if you take too long, but then again, I'm wondering how many will actually sell more than 50% of their company to make these mechanics relevant.
The upcoming crowdfunding campaigns will play a bit into the whole being at mercy of someone else, though.

I noticed "hack" events coming down the pipe on trello, it would be nice if i could pick which servers/computers were connected to the "internet" (think simcity again), servers that are isolated from the outside world can't be hacked, servers i connected and are running outdated OS software (which ties into my idea of workstations/servers running an OS of sometype, even your own system.), anyways outdated OS = increases likelyhood of a break-in.

Machines that are isolated from the outside world are 100% safe from hacks, however the player will have to move the finished project from the isolated SCM (or whatever it was you call it in game), to an internet connected server manually (one of your dev team ends up distracted for 4 hours or so, so you lose the usefulness of that employee during the time he/she is tasked with moving your product by hand from one server to the other, brownie points if this process is semi-animated)
I think having anti-virus on your computers/servers is enough, it should be pretty straight forward for most people that outdated anti-virus will result in virus vulnerability.

It is a great idea to incorporate servers, there's no reason for servers to be online for SCM, so it would make for a nice pro/con scenario of supporting offline servers, risk getting virus on your SCM server or just don't reap the benefits of SCM. SCM is completely unrelated to other network usages though, so you wouldn't actually need to move something from SCM to the internet after the project was done.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:27:54 AM by khornel »