• Design should run in tandem with development 5 1
Currently:  

Author Topic: Design should run in tandem with development  (Read 1147 times)

April 30, 2018, 02:29:24 PM
Read 1147 times

kenpino

• Information
    • View Profile
This setup of design and then development is an old concept. Waterfall is the past. Nowadays development is done via agile methods. Yes there is a period of design first, but, the entire project does not need to be complete before development can start (waste of money and resources). Our designers keep producing new specs while the developers work on others. And obviously they keep updating older specs (unfortunately... *sigh*). The designers in Software Inc are way too idle! And training them on Art as a workaround...well…   :o

May 05, 2018, 11:34:55 AM
Reply #1

latnwarrior

• Information
    • View Profile
The present process of design and then develop works for me as it allows me more time to train the development team while design is in progress and then train the design team when the project is handed over to programming & art...

March 11, 2019, 07:16:10 PM
Reply #2

axell

• Information
    • View Profile
The present process of design and then develop works for me as it allows me more time to train the development team while design is in progress and then train the design team when the project is handed over to programming & art...

It's a good solution. However when you have more than 2 projects, it appears to be additional pain for you to check if designer is free and should be sent to educational courses and will he be available or not, when you decide to start new project. And what is more important this is far from our real life.

As it was mentioned already in this forum waterfall is dead. Since 90's most of the development teams work using SCRUM,  Kanban or any other Agile methology. I believe it is a very good idea to add support for different development methologies to the game. New methologies can be unlcocked only after some date or milestone and it's up to the player to choose which one he is going to use for his project
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:52:31 PM by axell »