Author Topic: Internet and Digital Distribution  (Read 1292 times)

September 27, 2017, 02:56:45 PM
Read 1292 times

SpeedDaemon

• Information
    • View Profile
I just started a test game to see if it was possible to survive only providing online services to other companies.

I started with about 400Mbit of digital distribution deals in 1980 at around 15% (which seems reasonable, and also about the max you can get people to agree to).

It didn't work... I only made about $6k/mo, and the Internet bill alone was over $20k/mo. This seems to indicate that any digital distribution deals are always just shooting yourself in the foot, because they'll always cost several times more than what you get paid.

So, I have some questions:
- Is the Internet bill calculated based on your available bandwidth from the number of servers you have, or is it only based on what you use that month?

- Does the cost of bandwidth decrease with time? I could certainly see digital distribution being impractical in 1980, when the cost of a 400Mbit connection would have been astronomical. (whereas these days, you can get 10Gbit for $5k/mo)

- Is there any way to tell how large a certain product is, so you can estimate bandwidth usage against the price of the software? If a company is selling a 10GB game for $5, I don't want to distribute it for them... :)

October 05, 2017, 12:13:27 PM
Reply #1

Kyoss

• Information
    • View Profile
Heya SpeedDaemon,
last night I started a game in 1990 and tried to develop my own software. Soon I was getting to the brink of bankruptcy.
By that time I had one big server and my SVN only used some percent of it, so I started opening a digital distribution service.

And made 10k to 100k per month only from that. I was able to sustain a small company (15 employees) exclusively from digital distribution.
And i only got 5 to 8% of their shares.

At the beginning, in the 80s, I totally agree with you, that there is not much money to make from it.
But then you have to consider, that you don't need a single employee in this game to reach 100% market share in digital distribution.

April 10, 2018, 01:41:12 PM
Reply #2

latnwarrior

• Information
    • View Profile
New to the forum, I am addicted to this game... Where can I get more information as to exactly how digital distribution works; I am assuming you will need printers, pallets and couriers?

June 12, 2018, 05:02:40 PM
Reply #3

mordocpro

• Information
    • View Profile
the digital distribution is based on the same way of real life, digital distributions only begin to have high from the 2000s that is when the internet comes in easy access on consoles and computers, digital distribution will be quite useful from the years 2000
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:31:07 PM by mordocpro »