Author Topic: Name Generator ideas  (Read 1155 times)

March 01, 2017, 02:02:16 AM
Read 1155 times

perseco

• Information
    • View Profile
While working on a mod, I came across some limitations of the current name generator. One of those limitations is that you cannot add anything after the version number in sequels... it is limited to word prefixes before the version number. So the AI could not release an OS called something like Aurora OS 2 Pro because it cannot add anything after the 2. A possible solution would be something like this:

Code: [Select]
-start(base)
-base(base2,#ext)
Aurora
Onyx
-base2(stop,#ext)
 OS
#ext(stop)
 Pro
 SE

The # would act as a trigger that tells the game to render the words as a suffix to everything, even the sequel number. So this code would produce results like this:

Code: [Select]
No Sequels:

Aurora OS
Onyx OS
Aurora OS Pro
Aurora OS SE
Onyx OS Pro
Onyx OS SE
Aurora Pro
Aurora SE
Onyx Pro
Onyx SE

Sequels:

Aurora OS 2
Onyx OS 2
Aurora OS 2 Pro
Aurora OS 2 SE
Onyx OS 2 Pro
Onyx OS 2 SE
Aurora 2 Pro
Aurora 2 SE
Onyx 2 Pro
Onyx 2 SE

Another idea I had was to allow modders to define custom name generators for CompanyTypes, otherwise it will use the default Company name generator file. This would make it easier to differentiate game companies from those that make other types of software.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:07:04 AM by perseco »

May 02, 2017, 06:42:37 PM
Reply #1

kg79

• Information
    • View Profile
This is a very good idea. I was looking for a placeholder for the version number some days ago, but there is no... I#D like to add that there also should be some protection against doubled product names by a different company. The name of a product should be stuck to the IP of the inventor, but you should specify in the name generator file which part should be protected. If someone releases a "Word" called text editor, no other company should be able to release e.g. a "Word Pro". But "Pro" should be free. In your example "Aurora" should be stuck to the IP, but not "OS", "Pro" and "SE".

As now we can only create sequels but not spin-offs of an IP, the suggested way would work fine. But for spin-offs we should be able to determine special extensions in the name generator.

Another thing about versions:
Now sequels are just numbered: 2, 3, 4... But Id like to see also companies using 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 for their main releases or 2.1, 2.2 etc for smaller updates. Also since the 90ies it became common to place the release-year instead of a version number, or just other extensions like "XP". This could also be specified in the name generator files, With options to randomize this. But a classic version numbering should be always displayed in the detail window of a product.

January 06, 2018, 09:07:45 AM
Reply #2

seona13

• Information
    • View Profile
I definitely agree that key words in product names need to be removed from the list once anyone (player or AI) has used it in a product category. If nothing else, it's really confusing to see a list of competing products such as:
  • Sine Studio
  • SineWave
  • Sine Pro
I see a lawsuit or two coming on...

Even worse, in my latest game, I used the random name generator for one of my products (it's hotter than the surface of the sun today, and I felt uninspired) and it turned out to be exactly the same name as a competitor had released in the same category about 5 years previously.  :o