Author Topic: [Alpha 8] Hardware Mod v0.7-alpha  (Read 17238 times)

March 27, 2016, 11:20:13 PM
Read 17238 times

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
Make your own Computers!
  • Motherboards - 42 Features
  • Processors - 24 Features
  • Storage - HDD - 19 Features
  • PCI - Graphics Cards - 15 Features
  • Monitors - 16 Features
  • NET / Internet / ISP [soon]
  • RAM / Memory [soon]
  • Other kinds of computers [soon]
  • SSD / other storages [soon]
  • PCI - Audio Interfaces [soon]
  • USB - Peripherals [Mouse, Keyboard, etc., soon]
  • Cases - A shell to put your computer in.
  • Computers - Puts it all together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYpn45RjhI

Motherboards require an investment in time and resources, as well as a new specialization: Physical Design for your employees!  However, everyone needs a Motherboard to have a Computer, so it's an entirely new market of customers; if you can handle it.  The competition is very iterative, and will continue releasing "not so very different" versions; just like real life!

Processors required to make a Computer think, can also be created; and sometimes rely on features exposed by the Motherboard.  Some other components in a Computer may require certain features from the Processor as well at any given time, and customers do not generally buy Processors themselves (giving you a reason to make InHouse releases of these types.)

Graphics Cards, unlocked in 1992 with the introduction of the PCI Slot on your Motherboard; allow you to offload the processing of 3D Graphics onto a dedicated chip.  These are all the rave, and have a larger market than computers themselves; as customers might want to install two or three in their computers.

Storage, required to actually place data on a computer; and coming in a variety of balanced Stability, Usability and Innovative features that you can work towards.  Hard Drives can be purchased by individuals separate of a Computer purchase as well, but rarely.

Computers can be assembled out of parts either you or your competitors create, and don't necessarily make all the money; unless you're asking users to purchase your own Motherboard and Processor along with it.  The dependencies are not straight-forward yet, but selling a Computer with your own parts will increase your Motherboard and Processor sales.

Subscribe from the Steam Workshop
Source Code on GitHub

I will be making a lot of changes in quick succession on this mod, please wait before doing serious development with it; as I may have already added feature X or feature Y :).  I am only pushing what I have tested works / doesn't crash, and you should never expect 'master' to be stable (use the tagged releases if you want a version that works.)

All feedback is appreciated either here or as GitHub Issues
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:52:26 AM by AlbinoStoic »

March 28, 2016, 10:13:16 AM
Reply #1

7Roses

• Information
    • View Profile
found something odd, but probably not on your part.

when starting before 1991[I started 1980] there is exactly 1 graphics card on the market.
however there isn't really a possibility to use/create this yet so how where they (AI company) able to make it??

March 28, 2016, 11:08:55 AM
Reply #2

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
found something odd, but probably not on your part.

when starting before 1991[I started 1980] there is exactly 1 graphics card on the market.
however there isn't really a possibility to use/create this yet so how where they (AI company) able to make it??

Hello,

I had created that bug here: https://github.com/AlbinoGeek/Hardware-Mod/issues/1

Thank you for finding / confirming it.  In my case, it was "January 1970" as the first 'Graphics Card'.  I'll definitely have to go and redo the AI CompanyTypes soon to fix that up (or make it directly reliant on PCI from Motherboard, which would prevent this from another direction.)

Thank you for your feedback!  I need people to play test to know what doesn't work :).

I uploaded v0.3-alpha now, which includes many bug fixes and numerous new features!

March 28, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
Reply #3

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
Alright,

Just pushed v0.4 and learned a lot about the few bugs the Modding system has.

This release includes Storage, which Computers now require; also bug fixes.

March 29, 2016, 07:12:58 PM
Reply #4

vlade

• Information
    • View Profile
I have Software Inc.on steam Alpha steam version 8.8.3. windows player 64. It shows error when I start your mod, which I think is awesome.Help please

March 29, 2016, 07:31:19 PM
Reply #5

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
I have Software Inc.on steam Alpha steam version 8.8.3. windows player 64. It shows error when I start your mod, which I think is awesome.Help please

Hello!

I just fixed this error today actually, you're going to have download v0.5 from GitHub.  I apologize for that, I just built it now for you personally :).

Here you go: https://github.com/AlbinoGeek/Hardware-Mod/releases/tag/v0.5-alpha%2B20160329.1229

I am also Live-streaming development right now!

March 29, 2016, 09:58:51 PM
Reply #6

vlade

• Information
    • View Profile
I have downloaded it it still shows me errors on startup screen but I started the anyway with year 2010 and it works fine.I have not gone in the details playing wise hopefully there wont be any problems.Do you need me to send you log reoprt or something.Thanks in advance sorry for bothering you.

March 30, 2016, 05:55:20 AM
Reply #7

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
I have downloaded it it still shows me errors on startup screen but I started the anyway with year 2010 and it works fine.I have not gone in the details playing wise hopefully there wont be any problems.Do you need me to send you log reoprt or something.Thanks in advance sorry for bothering you.

Hello vlade, you can generally just screenshot the error screen.  It should look something like " 01. Motherboard' or mention another one of our SoftwareTypes if it's a mod error, generally something about how our Dependency Tree works for Features :).

I'm working with khornel here on the forums to get the mod working on Steam Workshop, and to fix up a few bugs that I found while playing around.

March 30, 2016, 07:26:21 AM
Reply #8

vlade

• Information
    • View Profile
Error loading mod 650558483
error applying mod with error:
Feature from:cheap material for better material in software merchandise has incompatible software category dependencies.
I wont bother you anymore,I wait for the steam release.thank you again for the great mod

March 30, 2016, 07:45:51 AM
Reply #9

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
Error loading mod 650558483
error applying mod with error:
Feature from:cheap material for better material in software merchandise has incompatible software category dependencies.
I wont bother you anymore,I wait for the steam release.thank you again for the great mod

Hello vlade,

Since my mod doesn't actually have a ModID yet; I'm not sure that's from me.  You should have one folder under Mods/ named "Hardware Mod/" if all went correct, and the contents should only be "CompanyTypes NameGenerators SoftwareTypes" .  You may have to delete and re-download the mod.

I have uploaded v0.6-alpha which includes Storage, Cases, and Computers updates (Servers).

March 31, 2016, 09:56:55 PM
Reply #10

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube

April 01, 2016, 08:11:38 PM
Reply #11

Dryhtscipe

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi there, AlbinoStoic. Aware that as you stated the mod is still very much in flux, but would you mind if I messed around with it in combination with my own (for now) private mod?

I of course won't be making it publicly available but I can share any resultant hybrid fun with you via private linking to my gitlab project.

April 02, 2016, 05:26:25 PM
Reply #12

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
Hi there, AlbinoStoic. Aware that as you stated the mod is still very much in flux, but would you mind if I messed around with it in combination with my own (for now) private mod?

I of course won't be making it publicly available but I can share any resultant hybrid fun with you via private linking to my gitlab project.

Of course it's fine.

There's the GitHub repository showing my code as it is so far.

Thing is, just remember to respect Copyright.  Use Steam's "Mod Collection" system (or dependencies "This mod requires these mods") system; which allows both our mods to be appreciated equally if they integrate together (e.g: nobody is taking anyone else's downloads.)

Best of luck :).

April 02, 2016, 06:47:45 PM
Reply #13

Dryhtscipe

• Information
    • View Profile

Of course it's fine.

There's the GitHub repository showing my code as it is so far.

Thing is, just remember to respect Copyright.  Use Steam's "Mod Collection" system (or dependencies "This mod requires these mods") system; which allows both our mods to be appreciated equally if they integrate together (e.g: nobody is taking anyone else's downloads.)

Best of luck :).

Thanks. I'm not really intending to create something to share at this point though - just something for me to play. I have an enhanced ecosystem mod that isn't for public consumption (yet...) that I am playing in my own games.

But I may have a proposal for you down the line with regards a modpack!

April 02, 2016, 10:44:08 PM
Reply #14

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
Thanks. I'm not really intending to create something to share at this point though - just something for me to play. I have an enhanced ecosystem mod that isn't for public consumption (yet...) that I am playing in my own games.

But I may have a proposal for you down the line with regards a modpack!

Hey there!

Yeah; I misread "GitLab" as "GitHub" (even though we use GitLab Enterprise at work, I shouldn't have made that confusion.)

No problems, of course you can do whatever you want to it privately :).

--

Version 0.6(.2) was "patched over" today to fix up some bugs; if you're subscribed on the workshop you're fine.  Otherwise, please delete the 'Hardware Mod" folder in your Mods/ directory, and subscribe on the workshop instead to receive updates faster.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:24:30 AM by AlbinoStoic »