Author Topic: Steam Workshop Upload Problem  (Read 10555 times)

March 21, 2016, 09:11:09 PM
Read 10555 times

amensch

• Information
  • Live a life worth remembering.
    • View Profile
So I have a problem with the upload speed to the workshop.
If the upload speed would equal my internet bandwidth it would easily upload these 36Kbytes, which is basically my mod,
but it doesn't want to. If I try uploading it, it seems like it doesn't even want to connect to the steam workshop server,
but if it does, it has an upload speed of ~50 Bytes per second. Yep, only around 50 Bytes per second.
If you know math you are going to say: "But, it would take you around 12 minutes to upload it, even on that low speed".
That is the problem, I left my PC running for like a 3/4 hour, but still it hadn't finished yet nevertheless the CPU usage of the game went up to over 30%.

I don't know what causes it...

PS.: I already uploaded a mod for another game which worked, only Swinc doesn't seem to work

March 21, 2016, 09:13:05 PM
Reply #1

JackBank

• Information
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What does it say when you click upload? Screenshot maybe?
Check out my mod at Mo' Stuff Mod

March 22, 2016, 05:51:03 AM
Reply #2

amensch

• Information
    • View Profile
What does it say when you click upload? Screenshot maybe?

There isn't much information, that's the problem.

March 22, 2016, 06:00:14 AM
Reply #3

amensch

• Information
    • View Profile

Steam somehow got the information that I want to upload, but it seems doesn't want to process any further.

March 22, 2016, 10:51:58 PM
Reply #4

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
It must be a Steam problem. I just send a folder path to the Steam API and it does the rest, I don't handle any of the code that deals with actually uploading to the Steam servers.

March 24, 2016, 01:48:29 PM
Reply #5

amensch

• Information
    • View Profile
hmm, any idea how to fix this?

March 28, 2016, 10:37:47 PM
Reply #6

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
It's been a week of this issue.  Only blueprints currently upload, you can tell night and day by just staring at the Workshop; and seeing people can't upload mods, because none of the mods uploaded are recent.  (Exception: Vizion , I even asked him how he managed to upload it.)

Vizion was the last successful mod upload:

The rest of us get this:

It's shitting up my workshop profile:

The one called 'hardware mod' is the one I MANUALLY INPUT.

March 29, 2016, 12:26:43 AM
Reply #7

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
It's been a week of this issue.  Only blueprints currently upload, you can tell night and day by just staring at the Workshop; and seeing people can't upload mods, because none of the mods uploaded are recent.  (Exception: Vizion , I even asked him how he managed to upload it.)
There are no difference in how blueprints and mods are uploaded. I've just successfully uploaded a mod. You need to agree to the Steam Workshop EULA on the workshop item's page and set the visibility to public manually. If your mods are uploaded without data you either exited the game before it had finished uploading or the Steam connection closed, in the latter case there should've been an error message.

March 29, 2016, 06:35:22 AM
Reply #8

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
There are no difference in how blueprints and mods are uploaded. I've just successfully uploaded a mod. You need to agree to the Steam Workshop EULA on the workshop item's page and set the visibility to public manually. If your mods are uploaded without data you either exited the game before it had finished uploading or the Steam connection closed, in the latter case there should've been an error message.

Interesting... this is a common enough issue too.  I know you are busy, so I will try not to waste any of your time.  If I am missing something obvious, I am terribly sorry.

I tried with and without the Steam Client Beta, and unfortunately it doesn't work for me.  I left the game running (and focused) for 2 hours while I went to a comedy class, still no progress bar movement.  Still on the "Please Wait" and an empty progress bar.

Mod Folder Properties

(Unlisted, non-monetized) Video of steps taken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fa48HiibQE

Minimal editing (jump cuts to not waste any time, also accidentally opened account details once.)

---

I'm all about debugging, so if there's anything I can do to help you out (as to why it doesn't work in my case) please do tell me!  Is there a way to enable a console or developer log for example, for me to see the Steam API process of uploading?  Or should I just replace steam_api.dll with the container one from SteamWorks debug and use that for logging?

March 29, 2016, 01:59:51 PM
Reply #9

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
I've added an extra error message to Alpha 8.3.3. If the problem still persists, it is between your computer and the Steam servers. Make sure you are not offline in Steam, cloud support is enabled and try uploading when their servers are not stressed. Also make sure that you have agreed to the Workshop EULA.

March 29, 2016, 06:38:03 PM
Reply #10

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
I've added an extra error message to Alpha 8.3.3. If the problem still persists, it is between your computer and the Steam servers. Make sure you are not offline in Steam, cloud support is enabled and try uploading when their servers are not stressed. Also make sure that you have agreed to the Workshop EULA.

Thank you for adding these new debug checks!!!

While not an issue in the Stable version, this prevents the mod loading in Alpha 8 [Testing].  That's very nice to know, since it simply wasn't an error before (it works just fine in Stable using no sub-type for <Force>.)

You might probably mention in the documentation that even with 'Default' you MUST specify it.
Code: [Select]
<Force>Motherboard,Default</Force>
---

Everything now works except mod uploading...  Taken from an Amazon AWS g2.2xlarge GPU-Powered EC2 VPS running Windows 10 v1511 (latest) x64 Pro and Steam Stable  I have removed as many variables as possible (including my own PC and ISP.)  I get no errors, just Please Wait...

And when I click on "View Agreement" under the workshop...

---

YOU MUST DELETE TYPENIFO.TXT MANUALLY it turns out, every failed upload creates a trash pubid and typeinfo file that must be deleted from the mod root, else it sits on "Please Wait" forever.  I only found this out when I went to remake the mod structure from scratch.

Now a proper pubid.txt file exists with a number in it, but my game is still "Please Wait"ing.  Still not a proper upload, but much closer to an expected result.

Notice the 0.000MB filesize?  That wasn't there before, but it's still bugged.

As per people saying "You can mark it Public on the sidebar"... I don't see it.

---

Since it's a VM, I'll leave it "Uploading" forever [3 days], and tell you if it ever does.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:51:58 PM by AlbinoStoic »

March 29, 2016, 08:52:50 PM
Reply #11

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
Could you clean up the pubID file, start a new upload, let it sit for 10 seconds, close Software Inc. and send the output_log.txt file ?

March 30, 2016, 05:49:48 AM
Reply #12

AlbinoStoic

• Information
  • aka The AngryAlbino
    • View Profile
    • AngryAlbino's YouTube
Could you clean up the pubID file, start a new upload, let it sit for 10 seconds, close Software Inc. and send the output_log.txt file ?

Thank you for debugging steps, I love you man.  I did what I could on my side too.  C:\ is an NTFS partition with 45GB Available.  T:\SteamLibrary (game install) is EXFAT with over 4TB available this is the odd variable.  T:\SteamLibrary permissions are "Everyone: Full Control" to prevent any issues there.  I also have a VAC ban on record 2000 days ago (but that doesn't stop me from having Workshop content in other games.)

- Validated integrity of [TESTING] Branch

- Ran the "Repair Steam" steps:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

- Tried with and without Steam Client Beta

Initialize engine version: 5.2.3f1 (f3d16a1fa2dd)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (ID=0x1401)
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     1969 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween43.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween43.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween46.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween46.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween50.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween50.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\SSAA.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\SSAA.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in  0.050 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 3600x1080 at -1680,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Transparent/InvisibleShadowCaster' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/NullShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
Loading Random Name Generators

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Loading Sentence Generators

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

Loading Software Types

Loading Company Types

Loading Companies

Loading Events

Loading Scenarios

Data load time: 0.05044341

Software list validity check: 0.004653394

Software list validity check: 0.0004841685

Software list validity check: 0.0003172159

Software Inc. Alpha Steam 8.8.3, WindowsPlayerx64

Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 1df0 -> priority: 1
  Thread -> id: 3c8c -> priority: 1
Platform assembly: T:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
Object reference not set to an instance of an object

March 30, 2016, 11:59:14 PM
Reply #13

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
The log doesn't indicate any errors.

I added another error message for a possible failure state and more debugging information for the output_log in 8.8.4. If the log still says everything is okay and you don't get any errors in-game, there's an issue with your Steam connection. Might be a firewall or something.

March 31, 2016, 07:31:47 PM
Reply #14

amensch

• Information
    • View Profile
I left the upload running for only 2-3 Minutes, but maybe it'll help you :

Initialize engine version: 5.2.3f1 (f3d16a1fa2dd)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (ID=0x1187)
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     1989 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween43.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween43.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween46.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween46.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween50.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\DOTween50.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\SSAA.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\SSAA.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in  0.123 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Transparent/InvisibleShadowCaster' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/NullShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
Loading Random Name Generators

Loading Sentence Generators

Loading Software Types

Loading Company Types

Loading Companies

Loading Events

Loading Scenarios

Data load time: 0.07881284

Software list validity check: 0.008093536

Software Inc. Alpha Steam 8.8.4, WindowsPlayerx64

Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 1a7c -> priority: 1
  Thread -> id: 3448 -> priority: 1
Platform assembly: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Software Inc_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
Starting Steam workshop item upload for item: 656725410

Setting content folder: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Software Inc\Mods\amenschSoftwareModv0.05

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModPackage.ExtraTags () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SteamWorkshop.UploadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at SteamWorkshop.UploadMod (IWorkshopItem mod) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GUIListView.<ColumnActions>m__829 (System.Object x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GUIColumn.OnClickAction (Int32 i) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GUIColumn+<UpdateElements>c__AnonStorey165.<>m__6F1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

(Filename:  Line: -1)